Al Holifield is the founding member of Holifield Janich Rachal Ferrera, PLLC (HJRF). Al has focused his practice in the areas of employee benefits law, employee benefits litigation, health care compliance, employment law, employment litigation and business law. He represents local and national companies from various industries including, but not limited to, hospitals, insurance companies, restaurants, doctors’ offices, government contractors, and construction companies.
Al represents employers regarding employee benefit litigation and compliance issues. He assists clients in Department of Labor investigations and Internal Revenue Service audits. Regarding litigation, Al has handled benefit claims litigation, retirement medical claims, health and welfare issues as well as fee and related litigation. Al has represented employers in various Title VII litigation claims. He has served as an expert witness in certain employee benefit matters, and his litigation practice includes matters before state and federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
Regarding compliance issues, Al represents clients routinely regarding the drafting, structuring, amending and terminating of retirement plans, welfare plans, and nonqualified plans as well as counseling them with regard to fiduciary responsibilities, the complexity of class action lawsuits, FLSA, FMLA and ADA compliance, as well as Affordable Care Act requirements. He provides day-to-day advice to clients regarding best practices for their plans and other compliance issues.
J.D. / M.B.A. – University of Tennessee, 1992
B.S., Business Administration and Management – University of Southern Mississippi, 1988
Certified Employee Benefit Specialist, Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Knoxville Bar Association (KBA)
- Past President, Tennessee Valley Employee Benefits Council
- Adjunct Professor, Employee Benefits Law, University of Tennessee College of Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyer (2016-Present)
- CityView – voted one of the best employee benefit attorneys in Knoxville (2010-2017)
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel (ACEBC)
- Employer Co-Chair, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law for the Employee Benefits Committee
- Track Coordinator, ABA National Labor and Employment Annual Meeting (2013-2017)
- Sub-Committee Co-Chair, Fiduciary Responsibility for ABA Employee Benefit Committee (2008-2013)
Chapter co-author, Chapter 38 “Age Discrimination in Employee Benefits” in ERISA Litigation (BNA 5th ed. 2014).
Contributing author, Chapter 10, “Fiduciary Responsibility”, Employee Benefit Law (BNA 2007-2013).
Contributing author, Chapter 11 “ERISA Preemption and Effect of Other Laws,” Employee Benefit Law (BNA 2006).
Contributing author, Chapter 6 “Regulation of Specialized Types of Retirement Income Plans,” Employee Benefits Law (BNA 2004-2005).
Contributing author, Chapter 15 “Employment Discrimination and Employee Benefits,” Employee Benefits Law (BNA 2003).
Licensed to practice in all Tennessee state courts and the following federal courts:
United States Supreme Court
United States Tax Court
Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Eastern District of Tennessee
Middle District of Tennessee
Western District of Tennessee